TMAG Children’s Festival
2020 TMAG School Banner Project
Applications are now open for schools to be part of TMAG’s annual School Banner Project, which will be held in conjunction with our Festival for Children and Young People from Monday 20 – Friday 24 April, 2020.
The project invites classes or groups to paint and create artworks of their choice onto recycled banners using the theme “Wild”. The colour palette will be determined and provided by TMAG. The banners will be displayed on TMAG’s outdoor railings for the duration of the Festival and April school holiday period. Each banner will be accompanied by a label acknowledging the school and an artist statement from the group.
Applications are due 19 February 2020 to be included in the ballot.
Important dates and information:
- Applications close Wednesday 19 February 2020
- Banner allocations will be made by ballot this year
- Only one application per school is permitted
- Applications will only be placed in the ballot if they are fully completed and submitted to TMAG by the closing date
- TMAG will notify the successful schools and groups by 25 February
- Banners are to be completed and returned to TMAG by Wednesday 1 April
TMAG will provide:
- 1 banner (varying sizes)
- All paint required for the artwork
- Delivery of a banner and paint to your school by 26 February.
- A postal package/collection of the completed banner for return to TMAG
How to get involved:
Please contact Emma Abbott for further enquiries.
RETREAT Artist-in-Residence: Youth Call Out
REGISTRATION DATE NOW EXTENDED: Friday 14 February 2020
RETREAT is a unique opportunity for young people aged 13 to 17 years to present an original performance/ installation as part of the 2020 TMAG Children’s Festival (20-24 April 2020) at the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery.As a member of the RETREAT Company you will be working with artists from award-winning and internationally-acclaimed visual theatre company Erth Visual & Physical Inc. Across two intensive workshops, and then the Festival period, you will be part of a unique experience: animating a life-sized puppet of the rare and endangered Sumatran rhino in the basement of the museum!
Who: Young people, 13 to 17 years old
What: An artist-in-residence with visual theatre company Erth Visual & Physical Inc.
Performance venue: Bond Store Basement: Bring to life a very rare, almost extinct animal (the Sumatran rhino) every day of the 2020 TMAG Children’s Festival.Create an amazing environment where families and children can learn more about what they can do to help lessen species and habitat loss in their local community and internationally.
As part of the RETREAT Company you will need to commit to:
- A 2-day Making Workshop at TMAG on Saturday, 14 and Sunday, 15 March
- A 2-day Performance Workshop at TMAG on Saturday, 4 April and Sunday, 5 April
- Final Rehearsal Period at TMAG: 15 to 17 April
- Performance Days: 3 or 4 morning or afternoon sessions as part of the TMAG Children’s Festival 20 to 24 April.
- An amazing creative experience creating a very special art work and contributing to a call-to-action to lessen species and habitat loss
- Yummy food!
- A small cash allowance to cover transport costs for you, etc.
REGISTRATION DATE EXTENDED: Friday 14 February 2020
14 February: Last day to submit register form
20 February: Find out if you are part of the RETREAT Company
27 February: RETREAT Company get together, pizza and information session
TMAG's Festival for Children and Young People will be returning in 2020!
Stay tuned for the announcement of the new name!
For the fifth Festival, and for future festivals, we are looking for a NEW NAME and a NEW LOOK and we want your help to do that! Entry to the TMAG Festival Naming Competition is easy.If you live in Tasmania and are aged 16 year or under, you can enter this competition by:
- giving us a new name for the Festival
- creating a design, logo or 'look' for your Festival name
You can download an entry form here, or pick one up from the TMAG Central Gallery at the activity station.Complete SECTION 1 and/or SECTION 2 of the entry form. Make sure you fill out all of the on the form and have the form signed by your parent or guardian.You can submit your entry at TMAG by putting it in the TMAG Festival Naming Competition Entry Box at the TMAG Visitor Information Desk.
OR POST to "TMAG Festival Naming Competition", Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, GPO Box 1164, HOBART TAS 7001
ENTRY CLOSE DATE EXTENDED: Friday, 24 January 2020 - ENTRIES HAVE NOW CLOSED
There's a great PRIZE PACK to be won:
- $100 voucher to spend in TMAG’s Museum Shop
- A Festival Double GOLD PASS! – This will guarantee you and a friend a reserved place to any ticketed events at our 2020 Festival
- A 2020 Festival T- Shirt with your winning Festival name and/or artwork.
The winner will be notified by Friday, 31 January 2020 and the Prize Pack will be presented during the Festival opening event on the morning of Monday, 20 April 2020.View the Terms and Conditions of Competition Entry here.