Booking a Self Guided visit
The Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery’s spaces and exhibitions are designed to inspire students’ learning and discovery across a breadth of discipline areas. Self-guided visits, where an educator plans and leads their own tour of TMAG, can occur any time throughout the year. It is one of the most effective ways to engage students with exhibitions and create direct links to classroom studies.
Self-guided groups need to book a minimum of two weeks in advance of the proposed visit date. Visits are currently capped at 1.5 hours.
There are a range of resources available to support educators planning a self-guided visit:
- Visit the What’s On webpage for information on current and upcoming exhibitions
- Watch the Introduction to TMAG video with your students and read the Plan your group visit webpage
- Visit the Online Resources webpage for education material relating to exhibitions
- Borrow a Teacher Backpack containing exhibition-themed objects and activities (best suited to Primary School groups) NOTE: Currently unavailable in 2020
- Check-out upcoming Professional Enrichment programs at TMAG, including Exhibition Previews for Educators
We recommend a pre-visit to TMAG, if possible, to familiarise yourself with exhibitions and plan the logistics of your self-guided visit.
Our Bookings Officers are able to answer questions and provide advice to help make your self-guided visit a success.
New conditions apply due to COVID-19
At the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery (TMAG), we are committed to ensuring the wellbeing and safety of our visitors and staff as we reopen with the easing of COVID-19 restrictions.
We have created an experience that prioritises your safety and enjoyment by introducing physical distancing and extra hygiene measures, comprehensive regular cleaning, and visitor number limits in galleries and on the site as a whole.
All visitors, including educational groups, are required to book in advance to ensure their well being and safety. For self-guided groups, please follow the link below. You can find our guided program offering here. For a general visit (for individuals and families) please book here. TMAG remains free admission and there are no booking fees.
Please do not plan to visit if:
- you’re unwell, have experienced cold or flu symptoms, fever or recent loss of smell or taste
- had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- been instructed to quarantine and your 14 days has not yet finished
We’re looking forward to welcoming you back and connecting with our visitors in person again.