Private Secretary's Cottage
Charles Atkinson (1806?-1837), The Seat of His Excellency Lieutenant Governor Arthur, 1833, lithograph, Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery Collection, presented by Mr W. Dennistoun Scott.
The Private Secretary’s Cottage was part of the Government House establishment between 1829 and 1857.
Photographer unknown, Barquentine, ‘Guiding Star’ in front of the Bond Store, Tasmanian Museum and cottage, c. 1880, albumen print, Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery Collection.
Private Secretary’s Cottage – northern parlour (bedroom). The rare tent bed (so called because of its shaped canopy) is from Cover Hill in northern Tasmania. It was acquired for the TMAG collection through the generosity of the TMAG Foundation.
Private Secretary’s Cottage – southern parlour / sitting and dining room. The dining chairs are arranged against the wainscoting when not in use, according to early 19th century custom.
Private Secretary’s Cottage upper floor dressing room. The mahogany four-post campaign bed was made in London in c. 1800.
Private Secretary’s Cottage upper floor bedroom. The iron campaign bed packs down into the box at the foot of the bed.